Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2009

My mother-in-law left for the U.S. yesterday

If you think this is another one of those "hurray! my monster-in-law left!" write-ups...you are seriously mistaken. Nope. Believe it or not, my mother-in-law and I have a very good relationship. Sure, there were times when we had our occasional differences and little "spats" (of which, I'm sure, she was aware of but, like me, did not want to bring to the fore), but these were very insignificant and actually quite trivial. I mean, what mother-and-child dynamic does not have its issues? What more, in-laws?

In the year that she stayed with us here in the house, she has taught me, Cupid (my husband...her son), and our yaya a lot about how to better run the house (and even our lives...hehehe). I will be the first to admit that I got spoiled by her mere presence in our lives. I almost-always only had to take care of my baby daughter. She took care of everything -- training our yaya, drafting the weekly menu, cooking, setting up our doctors' appointments, etc. Last night, as she slowly disappeared into the lobby of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA 2) to board her Philippine Airlines (PAL) flight for the United States...I felt a "pinching" in my chest and a welling-up of tears in my eyes....I found myself already missing my second mommy. Perhaps, to drown the feeling of emptiness, we all went to bed before 10 p.m. I felt the "pinch" again as my husband and I were having breakfast this morning, finding her empty seat beside me. It's like suddenly finding ourselves experiencing the "empty-nest-syndrome" but only bacwards.

Mommy Lily has been very generous in sharing with us her life-lessons. If I will fault her for anything, it is that she loves and gives too much of herself...spreading herself too thinly most of the time.

She is full of love, both inside and out. I am lucky to have her as my mother-in-law...not many women can say the same. I would like to believe that we regarded, and continue to regard each other like a REAL mother-and-daughter team.

I love you, Mommy Lily! And as Cupid keeps reminding us...we'll see you again next year!

back to top Related Posts with Thumbnails