Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rosario and Ramen Bar with the Siblings

My siblings and I, together with our significant others, found time to go out a number of times during the recent holidays.  On one of those nights, we decided to go to the Eastwood Mall to watch the much talked-about movie/ entry in the 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) -- "Rosario".

It was the first time for Cupid and I to watch a movie inside Eastwood Mall.  It was okay.  Not much different as the one in Eastwood City Walk.  Only newer.  If I were to make just one "mild complaint", it's that I wasn't able to pull up the arm rests so Cupid and I can sit close together. :(

So, let us talk about the movie.
The movie, Rosario

It is set in the 1920s and is based on a true story about the life and loves of a liberated Filipina; and the consequences of her actions/ decisions.  As stated in the movie's official Facebook page:

"In a time of beauty and innocence, one woman will defy convention. But her love and her passion will be her greatest tragedy."

As I was watching, I found myself pondering on such things as:  "Why did she have to do that?", "What was she thinking?" and so on.  I caught myself crying at the scene where she was pleading for her daughter to forgive her.  I was in awe of the cinematography; the attention to detail when it came to props and costumes.

What I didn't like was the mustache on actor, Philip Salvador.  I mean, is having that necessary for his character?  And if so, then why didn't they just prepare him for it and force him to grow a real one?  And what about Rita Avila playing the part of the Chinese nanny?  It all looked real fake, forced, and irked me to no end!

But what was a revelation to all of us is Sid Lucero.  Boy, that man IS an ACTOR in every sense of the word!  His eyes are so expressive.  His eyes, alone, can act.  The guy is now my "crush" and I have my husband's permission for that. :)

Overall, I personally believe that the movie was a "breath of fresh air" and a big relief, especially when you consider the quality and type of movies that are usually entered in the MMFF, year-in and year-out.  A lot has been said, both positive and negative, about the movie.  But to me..."Rosario" is one for the books.  It's a film that will sure be part of Philippine cinematic history, together with the ranks of masterpieces such as "Oro, Plata, Mata" and "Himala".

I believe this is a first attempt at directing for Albert Martinez.  This is a MAJOR accomplishment, for a first-time film director.  No one can argue about that.  This is no small feat.  That, and the movie itself, gives me hope for the future of Philippine movies, and what I perceive as a glimpse into the creative future of the industry.

Enough of that.  Now, let's talk about food. :) 

The after-movie grub:  Ramen Bar
 


We knew we wanted to eat dinner after the movie.  But it took us a while to decide on which restaurant to go to.  My brother Marc recommended Ramen Bar right away.  But my sister Jaja wasn't up to eating noodles.  I, on the other hand, just told them that I can eat anywhere as long as there is rice.  But since no one would say where, Ramen Bar it is! :)

The restaurant was full!  And so it was a really good thing that we got a table minutes after we got there.  Hubby Cupid was excited as he was reminded about his Yokohama trip just a month before. I was hoping that there would be more food selections from the menu.  But that should be expected, I guess.  Seeing that the joint is simply called "Ramen Bar" and is just more of a "ramen place" rather than a full-blown restaurant.  Nevertheless, we placed our orders and my brother assured us that we will be satisfied.

Yakiniku Beef Rice Topping
Thinly-Sliced beef with Chef Masa's special sauce topped with spring onions. This was my order (I told you I wanted rice!). :)  It wasn't extra special.  But it wasn't bad either.  It's just what I would expect from a "rice with beef toppings" dish.  But that's that. :)

R.B.S. #1
Soy-infused Tonkotsu Ramen topped tamago, naruto, nori, negi, chasyu and kakuni.  For those who, like me, do not understand Japanese, maybe this guide can help:

Tamago - Soft Boiled Egg marinated for 48 hours
Tonkotsu - Pork Bone Soup boiled for 20 hours
Chasyu - Sliced Pork
Kakuni - Braised Pork Belly
Naruto - Fish Sticks
Nori - Dried Seaweed
Negi - Spring Onion

My brother, his partner Frenjick, my husband Cupid all ordered this.  But Cupid instructed our server to hold the tamago (or egg) on his because he didn't want his soup to be thick.  They all swear by its "yumminess" and even offered for me to taste, to which I obliged.  But it just didn't do it for me.  I'm not fond of the dish. Sorry!  Anyway, it received a "Thumbs Up!" rating from the boys. :)

Spicy Karaage Ramen
Spicy Shoyu Ramen topped with Fried Boneless Chicken.  This was my pregnant sister's order.  Jaja is into ramen and noodles, whether they be prepared fresh or from a plastic cup.  And boy, does she like 'em hot!  When our server asked her whether or not she wanted them to lessen the "spice", she said "No way!  Bring it on!"  Combine noodles, spicy soup, and chicken (not to mention, boneless!)...needless to say, she LOVED it!

Chicken Namban Rice Bowl
No description was provided in the menu.  All I know is that it's boneless fried chicken on a bed of steamed rice and topped with creamy tartar sauce and garnish.  My brother-in-law Mark said that it's tender and he seemed to enjoy it.  Like me, he also wanted to eat rice for dinner. :)

Kakuni Buns (Image from HeaRty's Haven)
Melt in your mouth Pork Belly wrapped in a special white bun.  The name says it all!  I love it even more than chinese siopao!

Red Iced Tea
It was okay.  Is it just me or do all Japanese-themed food joints now offer red iced tea? :)

Tempura Ice Cream
Ice Cream-filled Tempura?  Now that's something!  Mmmm...mmm...mmm!  Must-try!  Best quality!  Now, why do I sound like this?  Turning Japanese? :)

That's us!  (L-R) Mark, Jaja, Frenjick, Marc, yours truly, and Cupid
As always, thanks for taking the time to visit and read my posts.  I wish you all Godspeed!


Mama Mia is a 30-something wife; stay-at-home mom to one; blogger; and author of Online Confessions of a Stay-at-Home Mom (OCSAHM). Learn more about Mia here, or contact her via this page. You can also get instant updates on this blog by following Mia on Twitter @miadsoriano; by "Liking" the official OCSAHM Facebook page; or by subscribing via Email or RSS.
Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory


Enhanced by Zemanta
back to top Related Posts with Thumbnails